Albacore Tuna with Fermented Black Beans and Arugula Salad
The pungency from the umami packed fermented black beans is balanced by the light orange vinaigrette dressing on the salad.
180g Albacore Tuna
salt and fresh ground black pepper
100g leek sliced in half lengthwise
100g carrot sliced in quarters lengthwise
2 cloves garlic sliced
500 ml chicken stock
1/4 cup soya sauce
1/3 cup Shaoxing cooking wine (huang jiu 黄酒)
1 Tablespoon fermented black soya beans （dou chi 豆豉）
2 Tablespoon brown sugar
3 slices of ginger
2 Tablespoon orange juice
¼ cup olive oil
1 Tablespoon honey
toasted baguette croutons
10g cherry tomatoes sliced
2 Shitake mushrooms quartered
- Sear leeks in a hot pan with oil. Add carrots, lower heat to medium and continue to cook until lightly browned.
- Add chicken stock, soya sauce, cooking wine, garlic, brown sugar and ginger. Bring to a simmer and reduce by half. Strain, add fermented black beans and bring back to simmer, reduce until thick.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together orange juice, olive oil and honey. Season with salt and pepper.
- Season tuna with salt and fresh ground black pepper. Sear over high heat until medium rare, add quartered shitake mushrooms to pan and cook for another minute.
- Assemble arugula and frisee salad with prepared dressing. Garnish with cherry tomatoes, shitake mushrooms, toasted baguette. Glaze seared tuna with thickened sauce and sesame seeds as garnish.