Canadian Albacore Tuna Tataki
Prepared by Hidekazu Tojo, Executive Chef and Owner of Tojo’s Restaurant, Vancouver, British Columbia.
1 lb. (500 g) Albacore Tuna Fillet and cut into 2-inch/5 cm by 3 inch/7.5 cm segments
1 tsp (5 ml)Sea Salt 2 cloves garlic, finely minced
2 Tsp (30 ml) sake,
juice of 2 lemons,
light shoyu, equal amount to lemon juice
1 cup (250 ml) shredded daikon
2 Tsp (30 ml) grated daikon mixed together with 1/2 tsp/2.5 ml Japanese red chile pepper
2 Tbs (30 ml) finely minced ginger 2 green onions – finely minced
- Lightly sprinkle salt over tuna fillets.
- With oven tongs, hold tuna fillets over gas flame or hot electric element to sear tuna lightly, just enough to colour tuna (alternatively, you can use a kitchen blow torch.)
- Immerse filets into ice cold water bath to cool.
- Remove, dry well, and slice into 1/2 inch (1 cm) thick slices.
- In a large mixing bowl, mix together garlic, sake, lemon juice, and shoyu.
- Add tuna slices and marinade for 1 minute.
- To assemble- place small pile of shredded diakon radish on each of four serving plates.
- Remove tuna from marinade and divide equally onto each pile of prepared shredded daikon.
- Garnish each with a small amount of grated daikon mixture, minced ginger, and green onion.
- Add cress or sprouts if desired and serve.
Preparation Time: 10 minutes